ollowing the closure of London’s Savoy Hotel ahead of a 16 month period of total refurbishment, Green Shield Environmental was approached by Chorus Group to undertake the investigation, safe removal and
disposal of all asbestos within the building. Our involvement encompassed the following:
- Carrying out a refurbishment and demolition asbestos survey to identify the types of asbestos present and its locations, including all bedrooms, front of house, meeting rooms, rear of house and Gordon Ramsey restaurant.
- Quantifying and programming the works with due allowance for other trades and site conditions.
- Providing expert guidance to the CDM coordinators as to the methods of working to be adopted in order to successfully and safely complete the project.
- Providing risk and COSHH assessments tailored to the project.
- Designing a method of working that was appropriate in order to remove or encapsulate the waste so as to prevent risk to all occupiers, contractors and visitors.
As the Savoy Hotel was still operational during the first two weeks of surveying, we were able to offer a turnkey package which involved the surveying of all types of asbestos, with minimum disruption and the speedy reinstatement of non asbestos equivalents to a high standard, so that the Savoy was able to operate as normal during the essential works and rooms could still be occupied.
The particular challenges posed during the project included having to plan the work over an unusually short period of time, which required the management team and technical staff to work out of hours in order to produce the complex surveys. The fact that the Savoy is a very high profile structure meant that particular care had to be exercised in order to prevent damage to the hotels historic finishes and features.